Login
FacebookTwitter

History recent additions

We will display new items of interest here whilst also placing them in their permanent location.

January 2021

6. Schoolcroft housing development page updated with memories of a former resident.

5. Churches and Religion page updated to include a page on the history of Communion tokens with examples of local tokens.

4. Transport and Communications section updated to include page detailing the construction of the Cromarty Bridge with material provided by the Resident Engineer, Don Fraser MBE.

3. In the Archaeology and Ancient sites section a description of Roundhouses has been added.

2. In the Village School - School Group photographs page we have posted group photos for 1979 and 1980.

1. CCT Newsletter submission. 

History

The history section of the CCT web site is a fantastic resource about Culbokie’s past. Recent additions for those with an interest are:

  • Information regarding Alexander Ross (born 1838) in the People of Culbokie section, provided by Katie Izat
  • Information on housing developments at Balnatua and Raven Croft. Any further reminiscences and photographs would be most welcome
  • Additions to the Findon Dun page in the Archaeology and Ancient sites section to include two surveys of the site.

We’d love to identify a volunteer with an interest in researching the role played by the Templars in Culbokie. If you’d like to help or have any information that you think might be of interest, please contact history@culbokiect.org


Most of the items in the Gallery were made available by Elspeth Weir, former teacher in the Primary School, who gave a talk to the Culbokie Church Centre Senior Citizens' Friendship Group, 2/3/2020. During the talk members of the audience shared their reminiscences, one of which resulted in this extra paragraph being added to the story of the Findon Hall. "The entrance porch of the old hall was on the left hand side and the kitchen at the far right. There was no heating in the hall and it was always cold. There was a badminton court set out inside and between games members of the club used to sit on the stage at the far right of the hall huddled around a paraffin heater to keep warm. Jock Watt, who later became Director of Leisure for Highland Council, used to take the schoolchildren for PE lessons in the hall and the school parties used to be held there. Scottish country dancing, drama groups and Raymond Bethune's pop band also used the Hall."

NOTE: it is sometimes useful to right-click on an image and select "View image" as this might provide an enlarged image.

Artwork produced by the pupils in 1973.
Artwork produced by the pupils in 1973.
1973 was the centenary of the opening of the school.
1973 was the centenary of the opening of the school.
A possible view of the Kiosk referred to on the Captain Elliot Strip Map of Culbokie
A possible view of the Kiosk referred to on the Captain Elliot Strip Map of Culbokie
Willie MacDonald shop
Willie MacDonald shop
Location of Shoemaker/Tailor adjacent to Inn - now demolished
Location of Shoemaker/Tailor adjacent to Inn - now demolished
Culbokie Inn - entrance to Smoke Room
Culbokie Inn - entrance to Smoke Room
Original porch
Original porch
Retirement of Willie MacDonald, shopkeeper.
Retirement of Willie MacDonald, shopkeeper.
Annie Smith MacKenzie - author of a history of Culbokie, [Earth's crammed with Heaven]
Annie Smith MacKenzie - author of a history of Culbokie, [Earth's crammed with Heaven]
Continuation
Continuation
Sketch by Helen (Nell) Fowler 1924 in an autograph book.
Sketch by Helen (Nell) Fowler 1924 in an autograph book.
A sketch by Annie Fowler, Head Teacher in 1924 in an autograph book.
A sketch by Annie Fowler, Head Teacher in 1924 in an autograph book.
site map | cookie policy | privacy policy | accessibility statement